Submitted on behalf of Tara Ivanochko, Academic Director, Sustainability Hub
- Sustainability Education Grants: The Sustainability Hub’s application process for the Sustainability Education Grants is now open. The grant program provides up to $20,000 in funding, over two years, to Vancouver faculty members looking to advance and diversify sustainability education opportunities for students across campus in all disciplines. Funding supports curriculum development centred on transformative learning that incorporates experiential, applied and interdisciplinary sustainability education principles. Grant recipients become Sustainability Fellows for the duration of the grant and join a cohort of faculty that meet monthly to exchange ideas and collaborate to advance sustainability education at UBC.Applications close on May 14.
- The Climate Teaching Connector delivers opportunities for the integration of climate change and climate justice content in courses across UBC departments. Applications are open and the program is free.
- New and Creative Ways to Embed Climate and Sustainability in your Class: Approaches from Five Faculties at UBC – CTLT Spring Institute Session – Registration opening soon.
- Integrating Impactful Student Research Opportunities into your Curriculum to Support Student Learning and UBC’s Sustainability & Wellbeing Commitments. Are you interested in integrating impactful sustainability research into your program or course? Or maybe your students want to conduct a thesis or directed studies project using the Campus as a Living Lab? Look no further than the SEEDS Sustainability Program! We facilitate applied student research projects that not only advance UBC’s sustainability and wellbeing commitments but also provide enriching learning experiences for students. Our program connects you and your students with policymakers and operational staff within the UBC community, providing opportunities to take on meaningful work that advances UBC’s sustainability and wellbeing policies, plans, and practices across a wide range of issues. Plus, we’re with you every step of the way, offering extensive project and partnership management support. Visit our website or reach out to learn more.
- Sustainability Celebration event: April 21 – Celebrate a year of sustainability and climate leadership at the UBC Vancouver campus and honour the exceptional commitment and achievements of students, staff, and faculty members. Featuring vegetarian/vegan refreshments and a presentation of the Sustainability Leadership Awards. RSVP here.
Supporting your students
- Climate Wellbeing Engagement Network provides resources for students, staff and faculty navigating the mental health and wellbeing impacts of climate communication and education.
- 2023 PICS Internship Program – Students can apply for one of 21 internships funded through the 2023 PICS Internship Program through their university’s career centre or co-op program.
- CLL applied research projects funded through the 2022 Competition launched on April 1 with funding awarded to projects in the faculties of Education, Land and Food Systems, Applied Science and Science as well as the First Nations House of Learning, the UBC Botanical Garden, Building Operations and Campus and Community Planning.
- Lab Sustainability Course: This 1-hr course aims to help you and your research group take climate action and improve your lab’s sustainability. Complete the course by April 28 to be entered to win a beaker mug! Learn more here.
- International Freezer Challenge: Do you have cold storage in your lab? Register now for the 2023 International Laboratory Freezer Challenge to improve sample accessibility, reduce risks, conserve energy and win prizes for your lab! Register here.
- Tell us about your sustainability and climate action highlights this year so we can consider them for the Annual Sustainability Report and the Climate Emergency Progress Report. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We would be pleased to feature your story on one of our websites- UBC Sustainability, UBC Climate Emergency, UBC Campus as a Living Lab
Sign up for UBC Sustainability’s Newsletter to be the first to find out about sustainability-related events, courses, research, internships, funding, volunteering, and other opportunities.